...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Peppers All Around

          This year I have had earlier and more abundant peppers than ever before. The only thing I did differently was mulch them heavily with peat moss. I guess that keeps their roots cooler in the hot summer sun and provides more consistent moisture.

          These are how the hot banana pepper plants looked in June.




          Those peppers were harvested and made into delicious canned salsa. Now the same plants are so heavy again with peppers that they are leaning against the side of their raised bed.




          There are bell peppers in purple.




                   Bells in gold.




           And bushes heavy with cayenne peppers just beginning to turn red.




          I am not sure what I am going to do with all of these cayenne peppers. When I was a little girl in New Mexico, I recall that they were often strung together with a needle and thread, then hung to dry for later use in cooking. I never thought I would be "sewing" peppers!


2 comments:

  1. I've never seen purple bell peppers before - they're pretty. Do they taste like a regular pepper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, the purple bell peppers are a little softer in texture and milder in flavor than the green bell peppers, but not as sweet as the really red and yellow bell peppers. The only downside about the purple peppers is they tend to turn green when they are cooked--just like purple "green" beans do.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.