...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Changing of the Beds

          Although most would agree that there is another month left of summer, in Central California our summer gardens are beginning to wane.

          These bushes are the last ones in my garden producing tomatoes this time of year.



         They are Early Girls, and in my opinion, the best variety to plant. They live up to their name of being early producers, and as you can see, are outlasting the other varieties in my garden when it comes to longevity. Their fruits are generally not prone to cracking, a huge problem for tomatoes here in the San Joaquin Valley. Early Girls are also resistant to diseases and soil nematodes. A great all around tomato unless you have to have tomatoes the size of grapefruits.

           These are Big Boy tomato plants that are spent and ready to be pulled out of their raised bed and discarded.



          Here is the same raised bed without the tomato plants and cages. In preparation for cool weather crops, I am adding the peat moss and bagged garden top soil that I purchased in the spring. The soil in the raised bed is very soft, so it won't take long to spade the amendments into the bed.



          The Central San Joaquin Valley is a wonderful place to grow fall and winter crops. I haven't decided exactly what I am going to plant in this particular bed, but I have a package of seeds coming from Johnny's Selected Seeds in Maine. When it arrives, I will let you have a look inside.
 

1 comment:

  1. thanks for popping by my blog .. I love your veggies. I think my peppers are done, but my tomatoes are still going, and zucchini of course. Now, I am eating while they are smaller! And a cucumber plant is growing but no cucumbers! I love the little yellow tomatoes, they never make it to the house!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.