...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pepper Time

          Today I have two large mixing bowls full of peppers that need to be cleaned, chopped, and frozen. Most of them are the prolific hot banana peppers that I tried for the first time this year in my garden. I was pleasantly surprised. They are not all that hot, grow to be about seven to eight inches long, and are about four inches around at the top. I like how they turn a beautiful orange, then red if left on the bush to ripen awhile.

          There are a few bell peppers to preserve as well. The deep red chilies are Anaheim peppers. I don't chop the small peppers, especially if they are really hot. Instead, I just rinse them with water, pack them loosely in a freezer bag, then pop them in the freezer. When I need a really hot pepper for flavoring in soup, I just throw in a whole pepper or two. For casseroles, I chop them up. With the pepper being frozen, it is very easy to mince.

          The larger peppers will be washed and cut into strips with the stems and seeds discarded. Then they will be blanched very briefly in hot water, packed loosely in freezer bags, and frozen. Perfect for stir fries, casseroles, and soups!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.