...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Testing, Testing...

          Today is the launch of my experiment with the Pacific Gold Mustard. As I explained in a previous post, this is a cover crop that will be dug into the soil, not something I will be eating. I want to see if it does improve my soil and puts a lid on the nematode problem. I am not going to have my soil tested. I know I have nematodes in my soil because when I pull up the old plants in my garden, there are big knots on the roots. Also, some plants just don't produce fruit or plain fail to thrive.

          I will have some idea if the mustard is doing its job if my winter root vegetables that I plant afterwards are relatively free of knots.

          First I cleared away the old squash and tomato plants that had been occupying a raised bed during the summer. The squash had produced well. The Celebrity tomatoes--not so much. Then I spaded the soil. This was relatively easy since the soil has been shoveled and turned on a regular basis for 11 years now.


           Then I raked the dirt clumps somewhat flat and broadcast a liberal amount of mustard seeds by hand. After that, I raked again with a heavy metal rake, the purpose being to work the seeds into the soft soil. Finally, I covered it all with bagged top soil then sprinkled the bed with the hose until there was a layer of standing water.


           With the temperatures being in the 100s this time of year, I will have to water this bed every single day until they drop down into the 80s. I plan on letting the mustard grow until it is about a foot tall, then will spade it into the soil and plant winter crops over it. I am excited to see what the results might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.