...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Cutting Applique Leaves

 

After all the intense free motion quilting I have been doing lately, it feels especially good to just cut fabric. These leaves will be part of the applique that go on top of my whimsical sky background.

IMG_3926[1]

I first cut a template of construction paper. Then I grabbed a sheet of Lite Steam-A-Seam 2. If you haven’t tried Lite Steam-A-Seam 2, or the original Steam-A-Seam 2, you are in for a real treat. The repositionable fusible mesh is sandwiched between two layers of parchment type paper and stays sticky until you are ready to iron it down and make a permanent bond.

After tracing around my leaf template on one side of the parchment-web-parchment sandwich with a pencil, I roughly cut the leaves apart. They I laid them on the various scraps and pieces of green fabric that looked promising, pinned, then cut carefully on my pencil lines. At that point, the fabric leaves can simply stay pinned to the sandwich until you are ready to stick them to the background fabric, or you can peel off one piece of the parchment paper and stick the leaf to the fusible web. Either way works.

Once these leaves are permanently fused to the background sky, I plan on satin stitching around them. Although the stitching will essentially cover the raw edges, I always trickle a thin bead of Fray Check around the outside edges first to avoid the headaches of the inevitable “fuzzy edges”. Occasionally, I still find myself trimming a few straying threads on the edges with some tiny sharp scissors.

What we quilters will do for perfection!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love these! I have been itching to do something with leaves...also with circles and want to do a Goose Chase quilt...and log cabins are always in the back of my mind.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say I love the variety of fabrics you used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bright cheerful leaves. A nice change from all that stitchin'. Looking forward to watching this build.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green leaves are so refreshing to look at. I love them and can't wait to see them on your sky quilt. YOU have such great quilt ideas. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great combination of fabrics... perfect summer leaves! Do a series, Fall is coming! It will be like laying on your back on a summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be careful with that fray check. I have a friend who used it a bit liberally, and 10 years later, the color of the fabric had changed quite a bit. :(

    Love the leaves! Can't wait to see the end result. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Fray Check can be a bear. The applicator tip can either let out too much of the product, become clogged, or even pop off entirely. Some people squirt a little out on a toothpick, and then apply it to the edges of their fabric. This can take an incredible amount of time. I happened to come across a fabric ink stick applicator that works a little faster. They are called Fantastixs and are a synthetic felt-like pencil-shaped instrument. I squeeze some of the Fray Check into a disposable plastic dish, then use a Fantastix to dab it around the outside edges of applique pieces.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.