...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

How Long Do You Stipple?

 

Stippling a quilt is probably one the most gratifying and exhausting experiences I can imagine. Thirty minutes maximum, and I have got to take a break. My hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, eyes, and the limits of my concentration all demand a time out.

I know I am not the only one. I once read a magazine article about a woman who was so bent on finishing a quilt that she ended up in physical therapy after it was all said and done. Her words of wisdom were: “Take frequent breaks.”

IMG_4324[1]

Breaks can be just as dangerous. A cup of that fantastic Starbuck’s Kenya coffee a dear friend gave me for Christmas was not a good choice. It made me as jumpy as a little monkey. Try stippling like that! Chamomile tea is so much smarter.

Then there are always those little pesky chores that need to be done around the house. In between half hour of stippling, I try to squeeze in a load of laundry, a bit of cooking, gardening, or tending the pets. All those things count, and padding them between sessions of quilting sure makes them a whole lot more pleasant.

IMG_4323[1]

What is your quilting routine?

6 comments:

  1. I wondered if you would stipple this quilt as it seems the perfect design to finish it off on the same keel as the quilt top. It's looking fabulous! Actually, any type of machine quilting wreaks havoc on my hands and arms which is why I had my one big quilt done by a gal who owns a long-arm. You are using quilter's gloves, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly, this quilt is only about 38 X 38" square. It seems larger to me because of the details, I guess. I am only having to use gloves when I get toward the center of the quilt. The outside blocks are going through fairly smoothly. The batting is a light bamboo so that minimizes the drag factor. Behind that is a layer of Pellon Décor bond interfacing, then the backing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not, I have not done the stippling like you are doing, but some of the other quilting, I get started and lose myself in it sometimes and quilt way longer than I should...my therapist told me I should stop for breaks every 15 or 20 minutes.

    BTW, this is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stippling is my least favorite thing to do. I take breaks because I can't stand to do it that long and get bored :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never stippled. When we move, I will be doing my own quilting on my own machine and will try it then. In the meantime, I am taking advantage of renting the totally automatic longarm-probably is a stretch to say I quilted it-I should just give myself credit for "attaching, rolling, and detaching". That quilt is going to look so amazing hanging in that show. We better get to see lots of pictures:) I do chores about every 30 min. of just sewing because my fat little feet swell if I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stippling has it's place. But it is very boring for me. I put on a good book to listen to. And away I go. But I must break at least every hour.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.