...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Topstitching

 

The first couple days of beginning to quilt a sandwiched top is almost always a throw of the dice for me. I generally have pretty specific plans on how I want to proceed, but when the presser foot hits the fabric and the needle starts pushing the thread through, stitch after stitch, things can sure change in a hurry. Sometimes the thread I have chosen decides that it wants to break every 100 stitches or so. Or the quilting design that I have chosen frequently doesn’t do anything for the quilt.

Back to the drawing board.

I have literally spent a good part of a day testing threads and quilting designs just to get the right combination. That doesn’t even address the challenges that sewing machine needles can present. I have lamented with fellow quilters, and they too, have often traveled that same time consuming path.

Case in point: I envisioned the jewel toned areas of my snail’s trail quilt stippled with slight spirals. Did that work? Of course, not. It was not only a nightmare to negotiate all of those seam points without shredding the thread; the stippling also covered up the beautiful metallic designs of the rich Asian fabrics. Those definitely needed to shine through!

I had to make a lot of changes: Needles, thread, and quilting design.

First I made a special trip to a local quilt shop and got some Topstitch needles. They are the best I have found to prevent thread breaks and shredding.

Next I went back to my old reliable standby Mettler Poly Sheen thread on the top, which hardly ever shreds or breaks. I changed to a simple Star cotton thread on the bottom. It tends to hold the springy polyester thread in place.

Finally, I changed to a walking foot and a simple topstitching quilting design. It lets the beautiful fabric show through, and I will still have oodles of space to do free motion quilting on the background neutral fabric.

This is what I have so far after today. I wanted to go a little longer, but got very tired after several hours at the machine.

IMG_3277[1]

This is a closer view.

IMG_3278[1]

Time to do some dishes.

6 comments:

  1. It can be very frustrating finding the right combo of needle, thread, tension, and I think fabrics and batting effect (affect?) the whole process too. Glad you found a winning combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have the hardest time deciding how to quilt something. And I don't do anything very fancy. My quilts are more to use than to show, but still you want to do a good job no matter what they are for. It is harder for me if I am making them for someone...seems like I do better if I just go down there and set with it under the needle and see what develops. But again, not show quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay-looks like the time paid off, Beautiful so far. I am making notes on the combo you came up with so when I finally do more than renting the machine, which does a beautiful edge to edge design, and actually plan out a quilt and do it on my home machine=I'll need that info! That is going to be so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far, so good. I like your choice, even though it wasn't your original plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I've been in a cave for several days - out running around with my sisters, actually.
    I love this stitching. I'm taking notes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kay, you have done it again!! Beautiful - I can't wait to see it in person with the Pinheads. I never imagined what a difference the quilting would make on the pretty little snails trail quilt you showed us last week. Excellent!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.