...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Stuffing a Binding

 

It seems that when quilters get together, invariably the topic of bindings comes up. How wide? Does it always meet the seam line on the back of the quilt so that both the front and back of the binding are equally wide? Is the completed binding “full” to the touch, encasing the edges of the quilt sandwich? And, hey, what the heck are the judges at shows considering to be the preferred binding?

IMG_3721[1]

The second quilting class I ever attended when I began the craft was about bindings. The class was great. The teacher was enthusiastic and supportive. She was a successful competitor at quilt shows. She recommended that the binding strips be cut 2 1/4 inches wide.

For some reason, that never worked for me. My binding never seemed to feel full unless I pulled it too far to the back of the quilt—past the seam line. That probably wouldn’t bother a lot of people, but most of you know how I am. I suppose it would be possible to make the seam a little deeper than the traditional 1/4 inch, but when I am shooting for the skinniest binding ever, that doesn’t sound like much of an option.

I began to cut my binding strips only 2 inches wide.

After much experimenting, I have also began “stuffing” some bindings. I cut skinny strips of Warm and Natural—about 3/16ths of an inch wide. I lay the strips inside the binding before turning it to the back and securing it down with pins or clips. Then I hand stitch the binding in place.

IMG_3723[1]

Here is a close-up.

IMG_3722[1]

This makes the binding nice and full without being wider. I take very small hand stitches to make sure the batting strips stay in place. However, this technique is probably best reserved for quilts that will endure very little or no laundering.

7 comments:

  1. That is a lot of work - but then again, you are a show winner so it pays off for you. I make my bindings wide because I like a little "border" on the back. I do make sure that my binding if full though so I do pull it on the front so it is full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I have seen a number of your winners at shows. All exquisite.

      Delete
  2. You have such great ideas, no wonder you've won so many ribbons. I'm marveling at the feathers still, and you're stuffing binding! Talk about a kindergartner gazing at college quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni, you are head and shoulders above me in antiques, crocheting, herbal remedies, and even identifying birds. I wish you lived closer.

      Delete
  3. huh. Never occurred to me! Although sometimes the batting has shredded away from the quilt if it's been a long-time UFO...then I will "replace" the missing batting. Good suggestion. Next time my binding looks skinny, I might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is almost what got me thinking that way. I actually shaved a seam a little too close and had to zig-zag the timed piece back in place. Oops!

      Delete
  4. I do like my bindings to be full, but I for sure no perfectionist....but everything I make, is made to use and is used. But still, maybe I should work on them till if I ever had the desire I could enter one in a quilt show.

    BTW, the feathers are looking good!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.