...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Great Bean Experiment


          A couple weeks ago, I planted five varieties of beans in my garden. I devoted an entire raised bed to the purple snap beans because they have been the most reliable in the past. These are Royal Burgundy purple snap beans from Johnny's Selected Seeds. This is what they looked like this morning.

 
 
          These are the Northeaster snap beans that I also bought from Johnny's Selected Seeds. They are pole beans, which means that they have to grow on a trellis or some sort of support. I had to retrain these a bit this morning because they were twirling around each other and falling forward rather than leaning back and wrapping around the trellis.

 
          This is a view of a long bed where I planted four small samplings of beans. Up close are Blue Lake 274 bush beans from Burpee, then a little to the right are the Northeaster climbing beans. To the far left are California Blackeye No. 5 from Burpee Seeds, commonly known as black-eye peas. To the far right is a novelty climber from Johnny's called Red Noodle. I still need to put up a support for them. They are supposed to produce yard-long purple snap beans, so it will be fun to see what they look like.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Annie. I am so excited about these. My cousins in Canada and in Arizona, USA viewed the pictures and are wanting these beans. Since I have my blog connected to my facebook account, they usually comment there. Maybe they will join us here someday.

    Thanks again to my Australian friend. :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you changed the top of your blog..
    Your beans are going to be beautiful, looks so nice and neat when first planted and they will probably be delicious.. Too hot here to do any planting.
    Planted a cucumber in a tub, and poor thing just couldn't produce any fruit.. Next time will try it on the East side of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When do you find the time to work, quilt AND garden. I guess I just don't like going outside and getting dirty enough to garden.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.