...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Worth Stealing? Apparently.

          A common thief alerted me to the seductiveness of the human senses. One early autumn about two years ago, I happened to see her pacing in front of my neighbor's hedge. The sun was setting as the woman studied the front of the house. After a quick glance over her shoulder, she stopped at the far corner of Roger's lot and reached into the branches of a tree that stood there. Then just as suddenly, the woman disappeared down the sidewalk.

          I have to admit that I had been living in my own home for nine years and hadn't paid any attention at all to that sprawling, rangy tree.

          My interest was piqued. With the sun almost down, I couldn't really see a whole lot as I approached the tree. But then a musky perfume hit me like a dense cloud. The heavenly odor was definitely tropical, and most likely meant fruit. It was almost intoxicating.

          Over the next few days, I noticed Roger's nurse picking the fruit to take inside to her charge, who was well into his nineties. She told me they were guavas. Rather than steal from the elderly man, I immediately made a trip to the local nursery and purchased my own yellow guava tree. It stood about three feet tall. I planted it in the middle of an island of grass in my front lawn, surmising that it would do well there since Roger's tree was only forty or so feet away and was thriving.

          Three days later, my tree was gone! It had literally been plucked out of the ground, leaving a concentric hole where it had once been planted. No need to rack my brain in regards to who the thief might be. Too bad I had no clue where she lived. She wasn't a regular in the neighborhood.

          Back to the nursery. I purchased a slightly larger red guava tree, guaranteed to produce large oval gems with a juicy red flesh inside. I planted it closer to my house, slightly screened by an old Chinese magnolia that was on my list to have removed within the next year.

          The first year, the small tree produced a half dozen or so fruit, complete with the delicious red flesh.

          This year the small tree is branching upward and outward since the towering magnolia has been removed. As the summer heads toward its end, there are tiny green fruit on its branches, which will ripen in late September.

          Hopefully, the thief will stay home and pick guavas from her own ill-begotten tree.


4 comments:

  1. Amazing someone had the nerve to do that. We've had people take citrus from our little grove in our front yard - but mostly it's just neighbors and we always tell them to help themselves. (With a few exceptions.) We had one couple (not neighbors) come to our door to ask if they can have some grapefruits. We said sure and offered to get them a bag. They said they didn't need a bag. We went out front about 5 minutes later and they had the car backed up and their trunk was full of our grapefruits. Apparently they were going to try to sell them somewhere. Give someone an inch, they'll take a mile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your story is worse than mine! I have had neighbors offer to trade produce with me, and I always let them have some fruits or veggies whether I actually need what they have offered or not. Sometimes they trade for other things. My cat and house sitter left a brand new bag of expensive cat litter on my front doorstep yesterday as a gift of appreciation for all of the peaches and apricots I had given her. That was nice!

      Delete
  2. Totally amazed at these stories... The animals in our area are the ones that steal the fruit.. And even before it is ripe and I get a chance to taste them.. This was the first year we had plums, and thought I would wait one more day before picking them,,,, went down and they were all gone, had to be a fat raccoon, because he even broke a branch.
    Thankfully, I guess he did not like peaches, because we got them... A little dwarf Peach is an amazing tree. Bet we had 20 lbs from it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One fat happy raccoon, I would say. Those critters are smart and they don't give up!

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.