...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Satin Stitch: In Search of Perfection

         
          Satin stitching around an applique can be frustrating, but there are some little things that can be done before stitching that will make a big difference.




         No matter whether the applique is being applied to a single piece of fabric or the applique stitching is to be part of the quilting on a layered piece, I have found that the most important thing to remember is to put some sort of stabilizer behind the applique prior to beginning. This keeps the fabric from distorting and helps keep the stitches even.

          On a large quilt, it is usually best to complete the satin stitching around the appliques before the quilt is sandwiched and quilted. The excess stabilizer can then be trimmed away as needed. On a smaller wall hanging, I use a large sheet of fairly heavy stabilizer such as Pellon Decor Bond. It can be placed behind the quilt top, appliqued, then finally, sandwiched with a batting and quilted as whole. Another benefit of doing this on a smaller piece is that is keeps the quilt nice and flat. It is also more likely to hang straight when displayed.

         Before I truly begin satin stitching around my applique pieces, I whip up a practice swatch. It can either be just a piece of fabric and a sheet of stabilizer or a mock quilt with two layers of fabric, a layer of stabilizer, and some batting.




          I practice on that and make adjustments as needed before commencing with my project.




          Happy stitching!

1 comment:

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.