...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

All I Needed Was a Spool of Thread

          Yesterday evening, I went to a local store to buy this:


          Just 1,200 yards if basic cream colored cotton thread. I go through these fairly quickly, and  I am always so amazed when it happens. This should be no mystery to me, but it is.

          By the time I had left the store, I had also bought this:


          How that happened shouldn't be a surprise to me, either. Look at those vibrant batiks!

          Quilters will recognize them as being fat quarters. For my non-quilting family and friends, that simply means that a yard of fabric, which measures 36" X 44" is first cut across, then lengthwise. This yields 4 fat quarters, measuring approximately 18" X 22". Quilters love fat quarters. They are almost like little jewels that be mixed and matched to come up with all sorts of delightful creations.

          Seems like there are a lot of fabric sales going on out there in Cyberland right now with really deep discounts for long-time customers. Lots of new fabric is coming in, and the vendors need to clear the old--although very good--stuff away to make room. Some of the merchants are even selling their new goods at 30% off. There are some very good bargains out there for those of you who are looking for a favorite you have had your eye on for a while.

2 comments:

  1. I try to ignore all those sales these days. I'm trying to save money for Houston International in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did order some premium batiks that were less than $4.00 per yard because I absolutely knew that I would use them. I don't buy what I won't use--no matter how low the price.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.