...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Squaring Up a Small Wall Hanging

 

Yippee!!! I am finally ready to square this little quilt up and put some facings on it. I still have a few threads to bury and some embellishments to ponder, but I am basically finished.

When I am trimming and squaring a wall hanging that is on the smaller side, I always yearn to take a trip down to the glass shop and have them cut me a perfectly squared piece of plexiglass that is the exact size I need to square my project. That way I could just drop that piece of plexiglass over my untrimmed wall hanging and pare away the excess around the edges with a rotary cutter.

Only in my dreams. Those pieces of heavy plastic are REALLY expensive.

So I set that little problem on the back burner of my thoughts and let it simmer for awhile. Hopefully, necessity would inspire a solution.

Several weeks later, I went down to Beverly Fabrics armed with my 40% off coupon. I bought their largest and cheapest picture frame, complete with a wonderfully squared piece of plexiglass sandwiched inside. I took it home, peeled off the flimsy frame, and chucked it in the trash. I have been using the sheet of plastic as a cutting and squaring guide ever since. 

It is not the perfect size for all the wall hangings I make, but I can improvise by adding quilting rulers along the sides..

IMG_1408[1]

This one actually cooperated, and I was able to finish rather quickly. Just glad that I have been doing a fair amount of yoga in my lifetime, because cutting on the floor always requires some acrobatics.

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love to see your creations. And I'm looking forward to seeing some of them at the Bakersfield Show next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is a marvel, and the plexiglas square is brilliant. Way to go.
    Oh, I used to cut things on the floor, but now there's always the chance I might not be able to get back on my feet again. 0.0

    ReplyDelete
  3. When there is a will, there is a way. I have a 20.5" square ruler that has come in handy for squaring up quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a smart idea! That is such a pretty little quilt! have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the quilt in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great idea. Also, something that might interest you, at some of the building supply stores, you can get a yard stick...actually mine is 4 ft.. ruler...and it is made of thick aluminum. Mine is about as thick as an acrylic ruler and is probably 3.5 inches wide. I think I have used it a time or two, but I don't have a good place to use it with it being that long. Well, I could bring it up and cutting mat up here on dining room table.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.