...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Seven Wives Inn

My first night on the road was spent in St. George, Utah. My original intent was to find a Comfort Suite, but there was no such establishment to be found nestled among the red bluffs that surround the town. As I pondered alternatives, an advertisement kept popping up in the margins of my computer screen: Seven Wives Inn, Bed & Breakfast. Hmmmmmm...the reviews were good, it looked safe, and a full breakfast would be served. I decided to go native.

Seven Wives Inn turned out to be large enough for eleven wives. Located in St. George's historical district, three adjacent structures house the guests. The Main House, below, has seven guest rooms that are named after the wives: Sarah, Lucinda, Harriet, Mary Ann, Melissa, Julia, and Jane.

According to the inn's website, the main house was built in 1873 by Edwin G. Woolley. He hid polygamists in the attic via a secret door after polygamy was outlawed by the U. S. Government in 1882. One of the polygamists was Benjamin F. Johnson, an ancestor of the innkeepers, and husband to seven wives--hence the name, Seven Wives Inn.

 
Next door was the President's House. The five bedrooms, complete with door placards, are named after Amanda, Eliza, Caroline, Mary, and Rachel. I slept in Caroline's room, which was upstairs and to the left where the window curtains are pulled open.
 
 
The two-story house was built by George Whitehead in 1883 and was named the President's House because there he hosted several early presidents of the LDS church. His wife, Esther, was said to have been the best cook in town.
 
The Ada Cottage is a small freestanding bungalow that is tucked between the two larger buildings. It is the most expensive room to rent on the premises.
 
 
My chosen Caroline room was decorated and furnished as it might have looked one hundred twenty-five years ago.
 
 
The view out the front window was exquisite.


 
The side window looked out over the pool.

 
All seemed clean and fairly familiar since I live in a cottage that is older than myself. The bathroom was tastefully updated. There were a few rough edges such as the large uneven floor boards that hadn't reaped the benefits of a good sanding, refinishing, and caulking along the wide spaces between the boards, but that's probably more an issue of my own. One of the first jobs I had done when I bought my little cottage was to refinish the hardwood floor.
 
I couldn't find a reason to turn on the television. There was too much beauty to behold outside the windows in the quaint neighborhood. Some guests took leisurely walks.
 
The electronic keypad at the front door and the individual room keys made me feel secure. The extremely steep and narrow stairway had me a bit concerned. I left a good part of my luggage in my vehicle because I didn't want to tote it up and down the stairs. If I ever get the chance to return, I think I will try to get a downstairs room.

 
 
Across the hall from my room, the door to Rachel's room stood ajar. Since it was unoccupied, I couldn't resist a quick look inside. It was sweet with floral wallpaper and lace curtains.
 
 
 Back in my own room, I spent a quiet evening hand-stitching the binding on this quilt. Its bright modern colors looked a tad out of place in Caroline's classic room.
 
 
Upon checking in, I had been asked to fill out a slip which indicated when I preferred to have breakfast and my choice of several plates. When I arrived promptly at eight o'clock the next morning, the cook was all ready for me. She knew my name and quickly got me a platter of biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, and a fresh fruit cup. Coffee, tea, and juice were also available. I was fortunate enough to share a table with a retired math teacher who was in the area photographing some of the nearby state and national parks. What a treat to visit with someone who shared so many of my interests!
 
By nine o'clock, I was on the road, heading for the northeast corner of Utah.

5 comments:

  1. How interesting - I love old houses, and these are real beauties. Seven wives! Egads. But what a nice place to stay overnight. Too bad about the floors, but they are expensive to have redone. Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of old houses, too. Thankfully, I didn't run into any ghosts!

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a nice place to stay...love that you took lots of pictures to show us. I have never stayed at a B&B....always had rather just be more to ourself. But my brother always prefers to stay at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like great fun... usually after traveling, I like the indifference one gets in hotels, no matter what the cost.. We should try more B & B type accommodations. Looks like a lovely place..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old houses. We own one in Medford (1925) that we rent out-would love to live in one someday. I like St. George and B&B's-sounds like you picked a good one.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.