...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

"Little Lanterns of Tokyo"

For those of you who were waiting for Curry, the cat, to get off of this quilt so that you can finally see the whole thing, you are in luck today. Curry is hanging out somewhere else in the house. It's around 100 degrees in the big valley as I write, and no one seems to have much energy.

This quilt was a bit difficult to photograph. It is 72 X 72", and obviously, does not have a hanging sleeve on it as of yet. I stood on a chair, hoping to get a better view.


Here is a partial view of the middle section. It is comprised of hexagonal blocks--some pieced off-center log cabins, and some solid cuts of various black and metallic Asian prints.

 
This is an even closer look. The smallest strips are less than one inch across and were cut from hundreds of Asian charm squares I received through a charm swap at my guild many years ago.

 
This snapshot shows the Japanese lanterns that frame two of the corners. I am going to be quilting orchids on the large black border with my typical gold thread.
 
 
The abstract lanterns and night sky will be quilted with clouds and a few flying cranes.
 
 
The quilting on the outer most border will follow the printed hexagonal pattern on the fabric. I usually don't work on the outer border so early on, but with the major components of the quilt already anchored, I think I will be all right. I am sure loving working with the black Hobbs cotton/polyester batting I snagged from my stash in the linen closet. It is so lightweight and rarely shifts.
 
 
If you have any questions about "Little Lanterns of Tokyo", please feel free to ask. This quilt has been very slow in the making. It feels good to finally get to this point.

 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, those lanterns are a piece of work, but they make a really interesting design. I can't wait to see as all the quilting gets done. Tell Curry he is just too benevolent to your readers. Good boy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the size of the hexi blocks? Looks awfully small - especially if you had to piece those log cabin hexies. Yikes. It is beautiful though and your quilting is really enhancing the design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pieced hexagons are a little shy of four inches from side to side. I drew out the paper-pieced pattern and would actually make these to relax after work. Arranging and sewing all the hexies together was anything but relaxing. It took months.

      Delete
  3. Looks like all the time invested was time well spent. Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You kept this a big surprise. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a nice sized quilt! I think the Japanese lantern adds so much to it. I like the way color is just splashed across the quilt. It is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.