...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Amazing Online Fabric Vendor Review: Fort Worth Fabric Studio

          Fellow quilters are always asking me where I buy my fabric. In response to those frequent inquiries I get for names of good online stores, I have decided to write a series of reviews of my favorites. They will appear over time, rather than one after another on consecutive days.

          I do try to support the local stores in my community, however, there are many times that I find myself online looking for something that just isn't carried locally. Since I have that thing called a "day job", my time is also limited. I can't be driving around town looking for a certain item with the chance of not finding it. Not to mention the cost of fuel nowadays. Besides, you just can't beat shopping in your jammies with your legs propped up on the bed.

           Some of my friends are hesitant to shop online because they are worried about the quality of the goods they will receive. Others want to actually see and touch the merchandise before they buy it. That is certainly of benefit if colors need to be matched or if you are buying batiks, which often don't photograph true to color and vary widely.

          My first advice is to stick with name brands that you know and like. It's hard to go wrong if you are buying quality.

          In searching for good vendors, I usually have the following criteria in mind: Excellent customer service, a stock of fabrics in the colors, types, and styles that fit my needs, competitive pricing, and fair shipping charges.

          This leads me to use Fort Worth Fabric Studio as my first example. In regards to customer service, they are terrific. I placed an order at 5PM on Friday afternoon prior to the Labor Day Weekend. They are in Texas; I am in California. The box promptly arrived on my doorstep the Tuesday after Labor Day. How is that for fast? Priority Mail by the our United States Postal Service, in case you are wondering. Nothing fancy like overnight, and Fort Worth Fabric Studio does not charge extra for packing up your box and taking it to the post office.

          This is how my order looked when I took it out of the box.


          The bundle was tightly sealed in a tough, transparent bag. I actually purchased this particular fabric for kitchen curtains. It is the second piece I have bought from FWFS. Fun, huh?

          These are the remainder of the fabrics. Most are bold and bright. All are half-yard cuts, which is something many online stores will refuse to do. They want you to buy one yard or more, or it's no deal.


          Fort Worth Fabric Studio also has some great deals. Besides their regular sales bins, they also have my personal favorite: Bolts Two Yards & Less or One Piece Left. Often that little bit of yardage has been all that I have needed for a certain project. Many times the cut is a couple inches longer than say a half yard, but there is no extra charge added.

        Fort Worth Fabric Studio also makes up a stylish new bundles of fat quarters every Friday, which are available at a competitive price.

          And last but not least, there are usually goodies in the package. Today I got a free pen and a packet of powdered Hawaiian Punch. :-)


http://fortworthfabricstudio.com/

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of that company - I'll have to take a look at their site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay ~ thanks for the lovely post about FWFS! :o) I'm so glad you have been happy with your purchases ~ that's our goal! Thanks for being such a terrific customer ~ we appreciate you! ~~Jodie

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.