...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Bernina Stylish Fabrics, Logan, UT

Our third stop was at the Bernina store in Logan, Utah. Yep, Janice and I were on a roll.

If you look closely at the window, you can see a reflection of me taking photos. Pay close attention to the lady entering the shop. She figures in the story.


The interior of the Bernina store was reminiscent of a traditional dry goods store--one huge room. I believe there was a classroom upstairs. There were lots of flannels, juvenile, dress, and reproduction prints. Like the two previous shops we had visited that day, there were no Asian prints to be found. Made me wonder.


While I wandered around the shop looking for some bright fabrics, I could not help but overhear the conversation that was going on in the center of the room where the new sewing machines were on display. Perhaps it is the schoolteacher in me, but I always have my ears turned on, even when my hands and eyes are busy. You just can't be too aware of what is going on in your classroom, you know.

The customer who had arrived just before us was asking a saleswoman about the different models of machines. I was so pleasantly surprised by the sales pitch that I would have bought a machine on the spot if I had been looking for one. She very gently explained the virtues of each model, but often added the comment, "Of course, if you are not interested in the extra functions that this machine can perform, there is no reason for you to spend the extra money when a basic model will do." A saleswoman after my own heart. I hate being pressured into buying something with gizmos that I don't want and are likely to break.

Meanwhile, I found their stash of batik in the back right corner of the store. I couldn't resist this beauty.

 
I also found some fabric with the biggest dots EVER! The dots on the background fabric are about four inches across. Oh, I'm going to be having some fun.

 
Well, you are probably wondering what happened to the nice lady who came into the shop just ahead of us. She bought a machine. As we were getting ready to leave, we saw her happily carrying it out of the store.

7 comments:

  1. That batik is beautifullland I like the others but not sure I would know how to use some of them. I really love the top three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three quilt shops on your trip - very cool. Your batik selection is really pretty. What's up with no Asian prints?
    There is nothing worse than a pushy salesperson, and when I encounter one I just shake my head no and leave. I'm glad this one did their job with thoughtfulness as that can be a major selling point in itself.
    Can't wait to see those bright prints in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the black and white dotted fabric too. You got some great fabrics on your quilting excursions. I wonder what kind of machine the lady got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a Bernina, but probably a smaller model. She was able to easily carry it out the door on her extended forearms.

      Delete
  4. 3 shops in 3 days? Too much fun. I would love to have a Bernina-not new but a Bernina is a Bernina. Great fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, three shops in one morning. Like I said, we were on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The big dots say "Twister!" to me. How big are they, really? :) Sounds like you had quite a lovely time away. Good way to wrap up the summer, most definitely. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.