...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Still Feathering

 

Yup, it’s been a long time since I posted. I have been up to my neck in feathers.

IMG_3507[1]

Several of you have written in and asked if they were done in free motion. Yes, and no.

I have been stitching the spine of the feathers with the walking foot. Then I use the darning foot to finish the plumes in free motion. This is not the way everyone else does them, but it works for me.

IMG_3460[1]

Particularly on this continuous feather that will go around the outside edge. And yes, I have already put the binding on the quilt. I have found this to be good insurance in regards to keeping the fabric from pulling in the direction that the walking foot is going.

IMG_3515[1]

Next I sketch most of the basic plumes in with a disappearing marker, not getting to exact about where I am going. The  first few curves on the beginning of each row seem to be the most important about getting a rhythm going, so I am more exact about marking those.

IMG_3508[1]

I am absolutely not an expert on feathers. This is the best book that I have found on the subject.

IMG_3517[1]

Three of my pals on my blog list are much better than I am, so you might want to check out their work: Suzanne at Quilt By Faith, Barbara at Pointless Quilter, and Debbie at Quilt Crazy Debbie. They are awesome!

5 comments:

  1. You are too kind. I like feathers and they are easy for me. But it took a lot of practice. Your feathers are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured you were at the quilt...it is looking good. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I think this is amazing! Thanks for a snail kick..I must get back to mine. Feathers....fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to try feathers, but I sure love how they look on your snail quilt. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was wondering where you were! I tried some little feathers on Sloan's quilt. I think they would have been better had I drawn something to follow-and I will on a big quilt. Thanks for the step by step! It it going to be striking can't wait to get a whole view of it! PS. The owner of our quilt shop likes the idea of the color theory class and the creativity/composition follow up-looks like it is going to happen!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.