...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

It Doesn't Get Any Peachier!

It's the beginning of peach season here in the Central San Joaquin Valley, and my two Sugar Lady white peach trees are taking their jobs very seriously. I gave them some Ironite, which is a granulated mixture of minerals, in February.

Look what happened! This tree in my front yard covers almost half of the house. It is absolutely loaded with peaches. I have hundreds of pounds of work ahead of me.


                                                        Here are some closer views.

 


 


Here is one of the medfly traps I let the Department of Agriculture put in my fruit trees every summer. They stop by once a week and monitor the traps.
 
So far, so good. I am happy to help them out.
 
 
This is a younger tree in my back yard that I started with a seed from the first tree. Much the same, but the peaches come ripe about one week sooner than the other.
 
 
With the drought hanging over us, I figured that I could judiciously water my fruit trees or my grass. You can see what got the water. Now I will have fruit to freeze, can, and share with my friends.
 
Better get busy!

 


7 comments:

  1. they look so yummy. Our tree is about the size of the one in your backyard. We also have a nectarine tree. I see fruit on them but not ready to pick. We are getting some blackberries though. I need to learn to can fruit. We just usually freeze it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for growing peaches instead of grass! I've never seen a peach tree so loaded with fruit; that's astounding. Wish I was your neighbor, lol. Have a peachy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, my mouth is watering almost!!!! Oh, those look yummy. What kind of peach trees are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I would say good decision about the water...you don't eat grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I told my gardener about the veggies, too. If some of the branches might be hanging out of the raised beds and resting on the grass, I told him just to leave the grass long there. I was nice about it and gave him a bag of peaches. He did a good job.

      Delete
  5. Making me miss our peach tree which we didn't replace and now I am wondering why. Beautiful! Congratulations on your awards for Peace, Love and Haight Ashbury-don't know how I missed that-it is a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.