...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Friday, June 6, 2014

A Bubbly Border


Now that summer is here, I can get back to several projects that are ready--or almost ready--for quilting.

"Ice Kachang" just needs a border. I found this wild bubbly batik online that looks like it will do.

 
 
This is the top minus the border. I constructed it from commercial batiks and hand-dyed fabric I made at Vivian Helena's Aumond's class. Her blog can be viewed at:
 
 

 
 The most difficult part of this so far was ironing all of the seams open on the back. The dyed fabric was Kona Cotton and was too thick to just press the seams to one side as usual. Not to mention all of the diagonal seams. It took me way over an hour just to get those seams to lie flat.
 
If my current plans for quilting and embellishing this little jewel prove valid, I will taking quite a while with this one. The 100 pieced squares measure only 35 X 35", but I can squeeze a whole lot of fancy stitching and beading into that small space. Not a project that will be finished anytime soon.
 
Here are a couple older posts about the making of "Ice Kachang":
 
 
 
Well first things first. Let's see if I get this border sewn on and mitered today.
 

6 comments:

  1. Your new border fabric IS wild and bubbly and perfect for Ice Kachang. I can't wait to see the embellishments. I'm so tempted to start an embroidery (pronounced "embrawwdry" here in the South;) project myself, but I have a new/old machine I'm playing (read that sewing a few summer clothes) with at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect border fabric. I look forward to seeing how you'll transform this little quilt into a piece of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a perfect fit for the boarder. Love the colour in this quilt...thanks for the links

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember "Ice". Will look forward to the quilting/embellishing stage. The fabric we used yesterday for dying was what Hoffman uses for batiks so it is a tight weave and lightweight. She buys it from them by the bolt. Love your border!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine, I made two batches--one with the Kona Cotton and one with the Hoffman PFD cotton that you are describing. I like both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure is bright and cheerful...will be checking to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.