...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Clueless Beauties

Many, many years ago--not long after I started quilting--I met my first New York Beauty block. I was fascinated! I found a book with a pattern in it, made some changes, and got busy assembling the blocks from autumn batiks and cotton texture prints. I knew exactly how I wanted to lay those blocks out and actually got a few sewn together before I had to put them all away. I was starting some sort of teaching course at the local university and knew full well that there would be no time to quilt for several months. So I neatly pinned the blocks to a flannel sheet, folded it, them tucked the bundle into a closet.

Years later I took the sheet out, unfolded it, and much to my dismay, the pinned pieces had come loose. They fell in all directions when I opened up the folded sheet.

So much time had passed that I couldn't remember how I originally wanted the blocks arranged. And since I had changed the pattern, there was no going back to the book to get some clues.''

On closer inspection, I also sadly noticed that my piecing skills on that project had much to be desired. Ugh!

At least I put all the pieces in a BOX before shoving them back into the closet.

Yesterday I took said box out of the closet, and things did 't look so bad.

 
 
There was still that mumble of blocks and pieces, but I think I can rework most of the inaccurate piecing. I still love all the colors. I am not sure how I originally intended to connect everything, but now that does not seem so important. It's okay to be clueless sometimes.
 
 
While I was ratting around in that box, I did figure out one thing--where I had put my autumn leaf batiks. I knew they were somewhere.
 




5 comments:

  1. Another fun quilt to watch you put together this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those batiks are really pretty. I can't wait to follow along on the progress of this one.
    Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the colors in this...a LOT! Sometimes clueless can lead to better things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the colors. I am going to look through "lost" blocks or designs and make some new pillows for the couch.. Made one that I will show later.. thank you,,, enjoy the project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to this one:)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.