...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hand Dyed Tee Shirts

As promised, I am sharing a picture of my hand dyed tee shirts. The one on the left was ice dyed, using primarily turquoise and a tiny sprinkling of sapphire blue and teal. The shirt on the right was dyed in a big pickle jar using a solution of sapphire blue. Both turned out with soft hints of purple, so I guess that is coming from the sapphire blue.


I bought five of these shirts at WalMart at the end of the summer for $3.00 each. Of course, they were white at the time. I was thrilled to find v-neck shirts since I look terrible in crew necks. These are a bit on the large side but will be fine for yoga as long as I make sure and tuck them in before doing any inversions. Oops! Hopefully, they will shrink a little in the wash.

On Friday I ordered some more containers of dye from the Dharma Trading Company. I am excited to receive the new colors!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, those are good, strong colors! You got some nice contrast on the ice-dyed tee, and that blue one is just plain gorgeous. Btw, I always buy my clothes a little big - I don't like being restricted. ;) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turned out great. Glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are wonderful. Check out my blog to see what to make with old T shirts. Tie dyes would make colorful bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all you have taught me about fabric dyeing. I am really liking---that teal dye. It adds a darker value, but not as harsh as black.

      Delete
  4. Oh, those are beautiful! My fav colors and I wear v-necks only for the same reason! Came here from Toni's "Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains" blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, welcome to my blog. Please let me know the name of your blog so I can visit.

      Delete
  5. I just found you blog through Magnolia Tea! You have an awesome blog. I love the hand dyed tee shirts. They are so pretty. I would like to do some work like that if I had the talent. You are so gifted to do this fabric dyeing. I really like the tee shirts a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliments, Brenda, but I really can't take all of the credit. I try to set my dyeing supplies as carefully as possible, but once the dyes hit the fabrics, I can only take a deep breath and hope everything turns out all right. The dyes almost have lives of their own, and cannot be strictly controlled, only nudged. Sometimes the results are awesome, other times, not so much. That's when over-dyeing sometimes becomes an option.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.