...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Time to Focus

Now that I have burned through the first two weeks of summer vacation putting out fires, it is time for me to get focused. Otherwise, I will jump from one UFO to another and not finish even one quilt by the time I have to go back to school.

I have been spending way too much time with various dentists. Then there are those other obnoxious summer chores that need to be performed--like cleaning out closets, the garage, and under the patio cover. All that makes me just want to sew something easy, ignoring any promises or show deadlines that might be looming on the horizon.

Curry is also somewhat of a distraction, but he knows which quilt I should finish. He will move one of these days so you can see the rest of it.

 
I can't tell you how many years I have been working on this quilt. It started off about the time that some of us at my guild were participating in an Asian charm swap. Somewhere around 2007, I believe. The charms were 5 X 5", and I sliced them into 1 1/2" strips. Does that give you an idea of how small the pieces in this quilt might be? I don't know what I was thinking, and I have to say that I grossly underestimated the amount of time this project was going to take.
 
Last summer I thought I had it ready to sandwich and quilt, but decided that the third border was way too busy. During spring break, I ripped off that border and found a long forgotten length of fabric in my stash that was a much better candidate.
 
The picture below is the "before" view. The outer border is now a proud member of my scrap basket.
 
By the end of spring break, I had the quilt sandwiched and ready to quilt come June.
 
Well, June would be NOW, and I really don't feel like focusing. I have some tedious mega-quilting ahead of me.
 
 
I did manage to get all of my "Clueless Beauties" blocks completed and arranged. The blocks do need to be sewn together. Then there are borders. As much as I love that project, it is going to have to take a little nap while I get some work done on the other. Drat!
 


7 comments:

  1. I think Curry is telling you to work on something else while he sleeps on the current quilt. He will be your guide! You do have a lot of UFO's. Are you also hoping to start something new this summer too? So much to do, so little time. So get busy missy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmmmm.......I have quite a few UFOs. Maybe not as many as some of our friends, but there are some. So frustrating because several of them are finished tops that just need quilting.

      Delete
  2. Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure whatever you work on will be a treat for your readers to see.
    I think Curry needs a job, lol. And I hate going to the dentist; I really hate it.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curry said to tell you that he is a blog model--yeah, that's it. :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see it in the full! The top one...can't wait to see the bottom one come together.

    Why is it that cats have to help? These cats won't be paying a bit of attention to me, and then here they come and try to get right in the middle of what I am doing. I always swear to myself that I am going to make little tags to attach to my quilts that say KTCA approved...Kitty Tested, Cat approved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. I think they know we are going to be sitting still for awhile, so they join us. They seem to appreciate the beauty of the quilts, too.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.