...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Supposed to be Ugly


Several months ago I went through my stash and tried to pull out every cotton print that was cheap, ugly, or looked like I would never use it in a hundred years. That was a lot of fabric! I am still cutting that pile into 4 inch squares.

Today my summer friendship group, the Pinheads, met at Bolts to Binding for a little sewing. There were only four of us, but that did not diminish our fun.

I took my basket of fabric squares along with me and a bolt of Pellon Quilters Grid. For those of you who have not tried Quilters Grid, you are missing a real treat. It is a fusible Pellon with a light grid of gold one inch squares printed on it. Any size of squares or rectangles can be fused to the product, but they must all be the same size, and preferably, cut in even inch increments.

After a couple hours of arranging squares, then pressing with an iron, I got a fair amount done. This is a sample.

 
Another view. This project was supposed to be an ugly cover for a big ottoman that Zee the cat likes to perch upon. I might have to rethink that idea. All of the ugly squares amazingly combined into something that is pleasing to the eye. Go figure.

 
After the squares are secured, the project is flipped over, then folded along each grid line with the right sides facing, and sewn a quarter inch from the grid line. In this picture, you can see the light grid on the Pellon.

 
This picture is a little better.
 
 
This is what the back looks like with the fabrics adhered. You only need to fold and sew on the lines where the raw edges of the blocks meet. After sewing all the lines in one direction, you have the option of cutting the seam open and pressing it flat before stitching the seams that will cross them. Usually, I do not cut the seams open because the bulk is negligible. I also like the idea of having the raw edges of the squares being encased in a little sleeve.
 
I'll be working on this, bit by bit, over the next few weeks between other projects. Sort of a fun way to relax and make an easy project.
 
 
In the meantime, I will try to decide who gets this quilt. Zee the cat, or me.
 

5 comments:

  1. I used the grid on the first baby quilt I made for Ava It was a pink flannel Irish chain-made it so easy to get those tiny squares under control. I love the pictures of Zee-she is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect application, Elaine. I used the Quilters Grid when I made the quilt for my little cousin Riley's heart surgery. I think the Pellon adds another layer of strength to the quilt. Good thing since Riley takes that quilt with her everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used the grid fusible on smaller squares and it sure made them pretty much square. Love that stuff. I've heard a line about ugly fabric - if you use it in a quilt and it's still ugly, you just didn't cut it small enough. Something like that. Ugly fabrics work great in scrappy quilts. They just blend in with the beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used it...maybe I should put that on my list of things to try, Zee is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never used quilter's grid, but I do like the sound of it. I see what you mean about the "ugly" fabrics turning into a very nice quilt. Those prints may have just needed others in the same class to bring out their worth. My 16 year old granddaughter, also, thinks yours is pretty. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.