...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Check Out These Uglies!

 

Now that the Cotton Patch Quilters show is over and I have finished my entries for the Best of the Valley Quilt Show, it is time to spend some time sewing some items for my home. I need several utility quilts to throw over my huge ottoman and the back of my couch where Miss Kitty likes to perch. You can bet that I am not going to use my good fabrics for that. No, it’s time to pull out the uglies.

These don’t look all that bad in the photos, but they are washed-out, off-colored, and blurry-printed fabrics. I don’t know what I was thinking when I bought them.

I am cutting them all into 4 inch squares and fusing them to Pellon Quilter’s Grid.

IMG_4472[1]

Here are some more.

IMG_4474[1]

They just keep multiplying…

IMG_4476[1]

This one is a really blurry print.

IMG_4473[1]

This one is just plain ugly.

IMG_4478[1]

These fabrics have been taking up a lot of my storage space. It will be good to get them off the shelves.

7 comments:

  1. I bet the gosh-awfuls in my stash are way uglier than yours. They're really depressing, and I've been thinking about donating them to a local charity.
    Quilts for the kitty and ottoman sound like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's funny! Maybe we should all have an ugly fabric contest...?

      Delete
  2. I bet the kitties will love it - no matter the fabrics!
    (And yes, we all have uglies in our stash - just for this purpose.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. My white cat, Bella sleeps on the back of the couch and leaves mounds of white hair-an ugly quilt that could be swished away when company came is a great idea! Bonnie Hunter says it isn't cut small enough if it is still ugly. Some of mine would have to go into a shredded quilt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that once you have your top together - it's too late now, because the pieces are cut - you should overdye it to a color that you find pleasing. Just think, it might end up being a favorite utility quilt! :)

    P.S. Got your BOTV challenge yesterday. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let the fun begin! I actually like some of these! The one with the teapots could make cute kitchen curtains. You know what, though, even the ones you don't like will make a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet those uglies qut up beautifully! Lucky Kitty.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.