...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, December 30, 2013

My Bohemian “Oops” Bag

 

Some of my readers tickled me when they made nice comments about designing my own pattern for my yoga bag. Obviously. they did not see the first dry run that I scrapped in midstream because I just hadn’t taken the time to think things through before I began. The overall pattern design was just not working. And although I liked the colors, they just didn’t seem right for what I had imagined.

This is basically how far I got. I have replaced the two strips of fabric on the ends with what you see in the photo. Originally, it was a darker mauve pink. The color looked fine, but when I got the fabric sewn on and stood back to take a look, the fabric’s printed design was off-kilter. Up close the fabric did not read as having a stripe or strata, but from a distance, it sure did.

IMG_1310[1]

My original thought on this pattern was to somehow put darts, tucks, or gores at the bottom of the bag rather than sewing in a separate inset circle. I am fairly sure it can be done, but the solution escapes me at the moment—especially when figuring the logistics of also attaching the carrying strap and finishing the seams.

I really did like the playful fabrics in the piecing.

IMG_1315[1]

The large semi-solid square has tiny little crabs on it. The color blended perfectly, so I threw it in the mix.

IMG_1313[1]

But as much as I liked some of the elements of this work, a yoga bag was not going to happen.

Not to worry. I soon came up with another idea.

My friend, Corey, had brought a quilted tote bag to our Sewful Sisters meeting one night to share. It starts out as a small quilt, then is folded and stitched a certain way into a sort of a duffel bag.

Corey is on the right, and our friend, Janice is on the left.

Cloth handles are then sewn onto the bag for carrying. This one will be large enough to carry 2-3 quilts inside. Perfect for toting quilts to and from a show. Mine will be about half as large.

This photo shows Corey with a finished tote at her feet. I wish I would have gotten more pictures because it is truly an amazing creation. If I can’t recall exactly how she did it, I might have to give her a call. Or I might just wing it and come up with something of my own.

I will let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

  1. So, are you sayin' you're human and make mistakes? Well, nice knowing you..... lol.
    Pffttt, I mess up everything I do at first, but it's always refreshing to see others do, too. ;)
    Can't wait to see what you come up with on this one. Love the crabs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for jumping in head first and just going for it-fabrics are beautiful! BTW your readers have total confidence that you will come up with a perfect solution:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making lemonade out of lemons. That's what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Many of my friends and colleagues call me the Lemonade Girl.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.