...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Quilter’s Fruit Cobbler

 

Aren’t quilters the best cooks ever? That has certainly been my experience. Almost every memory I have of a special gathering with my quilting pals is sweetened with the image and taste of a heavenly treat. How fortunate I am to call these ladies—and sometimes gentlemen—friends.

IMG_4296[1]

I don’t get to spend as much time as I would like with my artist and quilting friend, Lynne Lee. But when we do get together during the summer, she always pulls off some fabulous culinary creation. Most are incredibly straight forward and don’t require any special ingredients.

My favorite is her fruit cobbler recipe, which I have tried with variations of fruits and toppings. All are good in their own way. I do try to use less sugars and fats than Lynne’s original recipe. That means less margarine, and using frozen fruit from my trees instead of canned pie filling. I occasionally add a crunchy oat topping, which is completely optional. Finely chopped nuts work just as well. It’s all a matter of whether you are shooting for a decadent dessert or something that is a little more healthy.

Ingredients

1/4 to 1/2 cup of margarine, depending on how much of a buttery taste you enjoy.

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup milk

1 can pie filling, canned fruit drained, or quart bag of frozen fruit drained. You may not need the entire amount.

Optional crunchy oat topping

3-4 tablespoons of margarine

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup Quaker oats

1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions

Soften or melt the margarine and put in the bottom of a 8 X 8 X 2” baking dish. The pan shown here is a little larger and results in a thinner cobbler. Lynne makes hers thicker with the cobbler spilling over the sides of the dish a bit.

IMG_4286[1]

Mix sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and milk with a wire whisk. Pour evenly over melted margarine. DO NOT STIR.

Spoon pie filling or fruit on top of the batter. DO NOT STIR.

IMG_4287[1]

Bake in the oven at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes. If you are adding the oatmeal topping, bake the cobbler for 20 minutes. Remove the cobbler from the oven momentarily to sprinkle the topping over the cobbler, then return it to the oven for another 25 minutes.

IMG_4288[1]

The cobbler is finished when it pulls away from the sides of the pan and the cake has a spongy feel to it.

IMG_4295[1]

Garnish with a light dusting of cinnamon if desired. This can be served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy! The corner pieces where all the margarine collects are the best.

6 comments:

  1. I love crumbly topping-with or without anything under it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, but just finished a bag of potato chips and salsa,,, was a small bag... watched the Rose Parade, and told my self this is a "holiday"... hard not to go to the studio or feel a bit guilty... maybe I'll water the yard... good eating! Happy 2014...hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that cobbler looks good. I love crunchy toppings on any dessert. *drooling* Thank you for the recipe. Love the dish you have there, too. Most of my dessert pans are lack-luster.
    Happy New Year! Belated as we were out of town a few days..

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.