...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Where the Turkeys Run Free


My Thanksgiving retreat was located on 355 acres of open meadows and redwood forests in the Santa Cruz mountains. It is not only a sanctuary for peaceful but stressed out yogis, but is a haven for wildlife as well.

IMG_1185[1]

There were no turkeys on our vegetarian tables, but there were so many wild turkeys on the property that I had to wait for them to pass before I could drive out the gate.

The birds obviously knew that they were perfectly safe.

IMG_1182[1]

The deer must have gotten the same memo. They weren’t particularly worried about the people, either.

IMG_1141[1]

I thought there were just these two grazing in a field that is located directly below a terrace where guests were enjoying the fresh autumn air.

IMG_1143[1]

Then there were three.

IMG_1140[1]

A few minutes later, five.

IMG_1146[1]

Looked like Deer Heaven to me!

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your photos of wildlife at the retreat. The first turkey picture is really good. Deer are so graceful - I'm glad they have a place to retreat from hunters, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I love the wildlife. Hard for me to understand the sport of Hunting for pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Most of us could actually stand to lose a few pounds, so I don't understand the urgency to hunt.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a lovely time with nature. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

      Delete
  3. A very peaceful Thanksgiving for you, the deer and the turkeys. Smart of you to take a break-you have been working hard getting ready for the show. Have a blessed day back at work:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess all West Coast turkeys are thin, ours are also.. I thought it was our sparse brown vegetation. Love watching the wild animals, they are so relaxed about everything and are really in the NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be a photographer's dream to be able to roam around that place. Sounds like a wonderful place to visit and relax.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.