...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Visitors to the Cotton Patch Quilters Show 2014

 

Oh my, what a weekend! With all my cherished friends and quilters stopping by to visit, I definitely ended up with a case of the warm fuzzies.

My dear friend, Janice, came all the way from Utah. She is the one who invited me to attend a machine quilting class with her in 2001. Well, the rest is history.

IMG_4423[1]

My friend, Judy, also came on Saturday and had lunch with me. Judy has been a faithful supporter of my quilting from day one. She never batted an eye when I took my first quilt, “Arbor of Roses” to a yoga retreat and hand-stitched the binding down between yoga classes. She also attended my first quilt competition at Best of the Valley. She is still talking about that traveling exhibit of embellished brassieres that was on display there. I believe it was a breast cancer awareness project.

IMG_4426[1]

On Sunday morning, a talented group of fellow quilters arrived from Visalia. Most of us are bloggers, and all of us compete at Best of the Valley. Their work is nothing short of awesome.

IMG_4428[1]

Right before lunch, my childhood friends came in with a bang. We laughed so much that I was afraid we were all going to be ousted from my own quilt show. They bought tons of opportunity raffle tickets, though, so the management allowed them to stay. What a blessing these gals are in my life! From left to right are moi, Dixie, Teri, Cindy, and Vicky. Amazing to think I have known them for most of my life.

IMG_1466[1]

This is our lively group at lunch.

IMG_4430[1]

And last but not least—an unexpected visitor. KERO 23 News! This was definitely a surprise! I was not told that this was going to happen until one of the quilt show committee chairpersons arrived at my booth with this gentleman and told me that I was the “expert” and had to represent our guild on television. No time for nerves! In fact, our show chairman had told me weeks before the show that “Nerves weren’t allowed.” That being said, I stepped up to the microphone and got ‘er done. I have not seen the clip but have gotten good reviews from friends who have.

Photo: Kay Pennington on 23

Lots of my readers who live far away have asked that I post photos of my booth.

Here is the view from my table looking straight into the booth.

IMG_1453[1]

The guild presented me with the lovely bouquet of flowers. The white card on the stand in my biography that they enlarged and printed.

IMG_1473[1]

This is the view to the left.

IMG_1456[1]

And the right.

IMG_1449[1]

And finally, me.

IMG_1462[1]

What a grand weekend!

10 comments:

  1. It was all so wonderful. It was the first time I've been to that quilt show too so it was double the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Kay, it was lovely.

    Now time to fill out your BOTV forms - I'm hoping to see some Haight Ashbury and other batik quilts from you this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a surprise to be interviewed by the news folks. An exciting weekend, and you deserve it because your quilts are that good. The booth looks great in the photos. Thank you for sharing the weekend with your readers.
    p.s. great scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was wonderful having so many of your friends come to see your display, which looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, everything looks so great...I know it would have been even more wonderful to have been there. I would love to see them all in person, but expecially the one that is used in your header. That just looks so interesting and so different.

    What a day that must have been...isn't it wonderful to have childhood friends. They make life so much richer.

    I really enjoyed see these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kay-that is just wonderful! What a well deserved honor. Your booth looks fabulous and so do you! Beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picture! great Show! I bet you had a ball too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lot of lovely support you had - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic, love the photos, and so glad that so many friends from the past and new friends/quilters could be there!!!
    Wonderful.. Even I could be there a little, I think I spotted some hand dyed fabric... 1. you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! There is some of the hand dyed fabric I made at your studio in the quilt that is just to the right of the yoga cat. I have another quilt top sewn together--but not yet quilted--that has a good many of the hand dyes from that fun day.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.