...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Little Online Shopping

Every once in a while, I will find the best fat quarter EVER at a local quilt store or at a quilt show. But that's all it is: One fat quarter. No more. Drives me nuts.

Case in point: Check out that gorgeous Asian floral below. I found one fat quarter of it at a local quilt shop. It is part of the Satsuki collection by Robert Hoffman. I didn't have much hope of finding more since by the time a certain collection is being cut and sold as pre-cuts, it is often on it's way to being sold out or discontinued.

I got lucky on this one. I was browsing online at one of my favorite vendors and randomly entered the word "metallic" in the search box. Bingo! Up popped these two beauties.

Fort Worth Fabric Studio has always been high on my list. It doesn't hurt that they send little gifts with my order like the owl notepad and the packet of Hawaiian Punch mix.

 
In the sales section, the alphabet blocks on the left caught my eye. I wasn't sure why until I thought awhile and remembered that I had been hoarding a big chunk of a similar print in neutral tones since 2006. I had bought it to make a schoolhouse quilt but hadn't gotten to the point of having a firm idea of where I was heading to even attempt a start.

 
Schoolhouse? Yes, a schoolhouse. That awesome structure at Calico Ghost Town has my mind whirring.

 
It will take me a long while to figure out how to incorporate traditional fabrics into a pictorial art quilt, so I am not expecting to start on this any time soon. Not to mention that I am pretty obsessed with piecing blocks with Asian fabrics right now. It's definitely a project to anticipate and ponder for the future.
 
 


6 comments:

  1. You definitely scored with finding the fabric you wanted. It's kind of like a treasure hunt to find even a small piece of something you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is gorgeous! And I fell in love with that schoolhouse shot. The traditional schoolhouse block has grown on me in the past few years. Have you ever just didn't care for a block but changed as you have gotten older? I did not used to care for the pineapple block, and now I wonder what was a I thinking? I totally love it. And didn't used to care for the schoolhouse block, but now find myself liking it more and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, I am thinking along the lines of a pictorial wall hanging with portions of the neutral lettering gently over-dyed and used as part of the planks on the bridge or even part of the landscape. It will take awhile to figure out.

      And yes, my likes and dislikes in traditional blocks has definitely changed throughout the years. I still do not like the churn dash block, however.

      Delete
  3. The schoolhouse will be fabulous and you WILL figure it out! What a sweet find in that fat quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That schoolhouse is just amazing. I'm not surprised you can see a new quilt when you look at it. Beautiful fabrics! I love Asian prints, too. Our granddaughters were here last week, and one of them begged for a strip of a purple Asian print that I have to make a headband. She's the family fashionista. ;) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the owls. Years ago, when Owls were really in, I found an amazing owl wall paper with brown, coppers, and blacks.. We had a little small bathroom, in the back of the house.. So for fun, I had that wall paper put up.. My son in his teens, after told me it was very hard to go to the bathroom there, because of all the eyes looking at him.. From then on I sort of had to giggle when we had guests and wondered how they felt in that room.. Thankfully, I never obsessed and bought lots of owls, just that once... Thank you regarding the fire, we do know some people that lost homes, and some very fortunate people that the fire just took out their cabin about 100 ft. from the house, but did not touch the house. So much loss.. scary.. stay safe...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.