...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

5 Heart Quilts, Tehachapi, CA

 

Everyone guessed correctly yesterday when I asked where I might be off to in downtown Tehachapi. A quilt shop, of course!

Here is 5 Heart Quilts, which is located at 104 W. Tehachapi Boulevard. The store’s beautifully crafted wood sign blends perfectly with the classic old fashioned style of Tehachapi’s downtown area.

IMG_3358[1]

5 Heart Quilts was opened by Claudia Blodget in 1993. Here she is helping a customer on the phone.

IMG_3356[1]

Claudia does beautiful work and is sometimes a formidable competitor of mine at local quilt shows. But in the spirit of true sportsmanship, I have to acknowledge that Claudia’s work is not only creative, but is technically very correct.

5 Hearts is tastefully decorated with many class samples and examples of Claudia’s work. Some of the patterns are Claudia’s original designs, which have been published. Longarm services are also available at the store.

IMG_3354[1]

This is another view, showing just a portion of the fabrics that are for sale. There is a good selection of florals, batiks, Asian prints, blenders, and Western designs.

IMG_3355[1]

This is my favorite part of any store: The fat quarter baskets.

IMG_3357[1]

And of course, I couldn’t leave without indulging a bit.

IMG_3414[1]

6 comments:

  1. Nice review of the store. Aren't there two quilt stores in Tehachapi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another fabric store nearby, which I have never got a chance to visit. Maybe next time...

      Delete
  2. I am not sure I have ever been in Tehachapi. Your review of the town has made me want to-I think the BBB should pay you a stipend:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabrics you bought. Is the aqua one a batik with fish? It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the aqua fabric is printed with fish. I thought I had better get it because the last time I needed aqua batik with fish for a quilt, I ended up cutting up one of my batik shirts.

      Delete
  4. I would love to visit this place!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.