...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Extreme Tie-Dyeing

It seems with hand dyeing, I am never sure what the finished product will be. The dyes sometimes delight me, sometimes surprise me, and oftentimes leave me puzzled.

I wasn't sure where I was going when I started this. I'm still wondering what I will do with the fabric now that the dyeing is finished. The colors and overall texture sort of remind me of an up-close and personal view of a sunflower's center, but also of ragweed pollen. It will be interesting to read your interpretations.

 
Here is a close-up.

 
It all started with a one and one-third yard cut of white fabric and a packet of super stretchy rubber bands from the beauty supply store. I made tiny little tie-dye bundles until my fabric looked like this. At that point, I ran out of rubber bands, and my cuticles were complaining.
 
 
Another close-up.

 
Next I flipped it upside down in my container that used to contain biscotti treats and poured in enough dye mixture so that the little tie-dye fingers were just resting in fluid. I dribbled a little more over the loose pieces that stuck up out of the container. The yellow dye seemed really chalky and resistive to being absorbed into the fabric, so I left everything soaking for 48 hours.
 
 
Finally, I lifted the fabric out of the container and placed it right side up in a few shallow puddles of dark dye on a disposable cookie sheet. 

 
The dark color traveled a little more than I imagined, but I was still pleased with the results. As soon as my cuticles heal, I would like to try this again with different colors. As far as this piece of fabric goes, I am not sure whether I am going to cut it or just quilt it whole cloth.

So many possibilities...

7 comments:

  1. You need to google microscopic images, nature and you can see a lot of things that you might use that fabric. I think it's cool and I'm sure you can fussy cut and use for center of fabrics for flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was sunflower, too. I have had sunflowers on the brain though, so I wonder what I would have thought otherwise. I do think it is gorgeous and it would be one I hated to cut. I would want to just have it for a while. And look at it's loveliness every so often.

    That first shot also reminds me of Queen Anne's Lace with color added.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each "flower" puts me in mind of kaleidoscope images. I think this interestingly dyed fabric would make beautiful squares for a quilt. LOVE the red, orange and yellow colors. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It finally came to me what the first really reminds me of...after letting sunflowers go. It is a pineapple. Let me check first to see if anyone else said that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, you are the first person here to mention pineapple. When I posted the first photo on Facebook, I had several mention pineapple. There were daisies, candy, sea coral, and a microscopic virus (from my cousin who is a doctor). I guess it all depends on your perspective.

      Delete
  5. I thought I had sent a message maybe from my kindle but don"t see I. Love the colors and the possible under water feeling. Maybe a jellyfish ?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.