...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Broken Dishes Miniature

What can I say? I told you awhile back that I was on a roll with these small blocks. Mostly I wanted to make a dent in my hoard of tiny Asian fabric scraps.There was no way I was going to toss those. Not with all that gold and glitz stamped all over them. Not to mention the price of good yardage these days.

Making forty-nine blocks that finish at 2 1/2 inches square would drive most quilters to distraction. I loved it! These are temporarily pinned to a cardboard box--a great design wall for small quilts, by the way. Once they are sewn together, the whole shebang will only be 18 inches square.

 
This is the fabric that I chose for the neutral border. Years ago, I won this as part of a bundle of Japanese prints from an online quilt fabric auction that is no longer doing business. I wasn't sure how I was going to use the fabric at the time, but now it sort of reminds me of a tablecloth for my "dishes".
 
 
Recently, I also read the sweetest story about broken dishes. In Denmark, ladies save their broken dishes throughout the year, Come New Years, they throw them at the doors of their beloved friends. So it you awake to find lots of broken dishes outside your door, you are very fortunate indeed.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is so pretty! Good for you using every little bit of those gorgeous prints. And I love how you grouped the similar colors together. Love the background print, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is amazing! I don't know if I could work this small now. Will you machine quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love little quilts, your broken dishes will be darling!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.