...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, July 22, 2013

Fine Arts, Crafts, and Antiques

 

The beauty of Tehachapi makes it a haven for all sorts of artists and crafters. Naturally, that makes the mountain community a great source of original art and handmade crafts for appreciative collectors.

Our first stop was at the Tehachapi Treasure Trove. Our own Dixie had a connection there. Her mom, Sharon Schnaidt, knits shoes, hats, bibs, and all kinds of other things, which she sells at the shop. Here is Dixie holding up an adorable pair of her mother’s handmade moose booties.

IMG_3347[1]

A wall of tie-dyed tee shirts caught Vicky’s eye. She chose this one, which she can wear at special dress-up events at her school. She will definitely be the coolest teacher there!

IMG_3345[1]

Besides selling handcrafted items, the Treasure Trove is also a great place for artists to purchase supplies. Art classes are also offered in the classrooms at the back of the store.

IMG_3346[1]

Our next stop was a very short walk down the idyllic and charming streets of Tehachapi’s downtown. This gorgeous display of pottery was just inside the front door of Gallery ‘N Gifts.

IMG_3352[1]

This metal art fascinated me with all its shapes and sizes.

IMG_3349[1]

The front of the store is devoted to crafty gifts, while the back of the store houses a beautiful display of fine art: Paintings, drawings, fine photography, artful furniture, and stained glass.

IMG_3353[1]

The next stop for the rest of my group was an antique store, but right next door was something that was a whole lot more exciting to me. Can you guess what it was?

3 comments:

  1. What a fun time you had shopping at those cool stores. I love the tie-dyed t-shirt. The sundials are nifty, too.

    Um, just guessin' ... was the store next to the antique store a quilt shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quilt store no doubt! Sounds like you have had a great time. I like going on trips with my husband-but hanging out with the girls-who like the things you do is really special. My best friend is already looking into how she is going to fly to Medford to visit and I won't be moving until May!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the metal art...I keep thinking I would like to try it...then I think I need another hobby about like I need a hole in the head.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.