...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

More Wild Birds in Tehachapi

 

After visiting the ostrich ranch, we made a few other stops then headed up to Dixie’s house. She has wild birds there, too. Literally hundreds.

I have never seen a goldfinch sock. It is filled with thistle seeds. The bag the seeds came in was labeled with the promise of being a “goldfinch magnet”. It certainly looks like there was a lot of truth in their advertising.

IMG_3398[1]

There are even more hummingbird’s that visit Dixie’s patio than goldfinches. Just this one feeder had four visitors on it.

IMG_3402[1]

The foliage and the swiftness of the hummingbirds made it difficult to photograph the hundreds of eaters flying in and out. Many were lined up waiting on the fence, waiting their turn at a feeder. Dixie’s husband, Tommy, goes through about two gallons of hummingbird nectar each day.

IMG_3407[1]

No doubt these awesome hollyhocks are a huge attraction to the birds. They had me green with envy.

IMG_3394[1]

The daisies were lovely as well.

IMG_3403[1]

I think I need to get me a goldfinch sock.

IMG_3392[1]

4 comments:

  1. I would have almost as much fun at her place as at the zoo.

    I used to work at an apple orchard...a really small operation. Ate lunch with the owners everyday and they fed the birds outside their patio window...we had more fun watching the birds come and go than you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos. My parents always have all kinds of feeders for the birds too. They are fun to watch and hummingbirds can be pretty wild when they are fighting for the food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a bird magnet, indeed. It's so cool to see that many birds at one time. I can't believe the hummingbird feeder has so many hummers around it. When more than one gets near mine it starts a territorial war. Love those hollyhocks. I've never grown any, but I want to.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.