...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Still Satin Stitching

          There is a reason satin stitching takes so long. It is tedious. I can only stand so much of watching every single stitch to see that it lines up perfectly with the ones before. Then there is the pivoting issue. Tiny, tiny turns have to be taken to insure that a fluid line of stitching is maintained.

          I try to stay relaxed an not take out every single little "mistake" as I go. Instead, I finish the line and don't look back at it for awhile--sometimes for several days. Then if I still can't live with it, I take it out and do it over. In many cases, it looks just fine. It was only my perfectionism rearing its ugly head.

          There are many reasons I am able to juggle a garden with my sewing. Tasks like satin stitching require frequent breaks, and my garden is the perfect place to do that. The sun feels good. The new growth is inspiring. I always feel so grateful for every new moment, every new day.

2 comments:

  1. That's the trick of juggling the two. I guess my second hobby would be computer time or eating!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.