...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Your Toadstools, My Treasures


          Yesterday while I was visiting the ranch where I board my horse, I spied two magnificently huge mushrooms. Their caps were at least eight inches in diameter. More importantly, they were completely intact.

          Briefly I scolded myself for not bringing my camera along.

         It wasn't long before I ran into one of the ranch managers, though, so I just asked him if I could have the toadstools to take home, photograph, and use as inspiration for my art work. He was absolutely fine with that since most customers who talk to him are wanting him to clean their horse's stall. As a matter of fact, he acknowledged that the sizes and shapes of the mushrooms were all so different and interesting. He smiled. He didn't even look at me funny.

          After I finished my last quilt, "It's Raining Mushrooms In California", I really thought I was finished with using any more fungus--no matter how delightful or varied--as a subject matter for my art work. I guess not. The minute I saw those mushrooms yesterday, my creative mind was off and racing.


           
 


 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Just goes to show you never know when or where you will find your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Barb. This mushroom fascination has endured the test of time, though. It started in childhood.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.