...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Mustard is Up, Down, and Under!

          On August 13, 2012 I planted Pacific Gold Mustard seeds in one of my larger raised beds. For those of you who might have not been following my blog at the time, the mustard was planted as a cover crop rather than to eat. The mustard is supposed to control nematodes, which are a microscopic worm that plagues our soil here in the Central San Joaquin Valley of California.

          By August 16, the seeds had sprouted.

         Today--less than a month later--this is what the bed looks like. The plants are about eight inches tall with a roots that go down about six inches.

 
          Today was the day to dig up the mustard and turn it into the soil. As I shoveled, I found lots of juicy earthworms--a very good sign of healthy soil. I always feel terrible about turning their little homes upside down. As a yogi who practices non-violence, or ahimsa, I always make sure the uprooted worms are put back onto some soft, moist loam where they can resume digging their tunnels.
 
           In a week or so, after the mustard plants have begun to decompose, I will plant some root vegetables in this bed. If the veggies thrive and have roots without knots, it means that the mustard has controlled the nematodes.
   
 
           While I worked, Panda kept a look out for those bossy scrub jays who love to tell us how to run "their" garden.
 
 
          Zee, who is supposed to be going for a walk every day as per doctor's orders, just hung out on the grass and looked cute. 
 

 
          At least I got MY exercise!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.