...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Great Bean Experiment--Part III

          It is hard to believe that I planted all of these beans exactly one month ago.

          The Royal Burgundy snap beans are robust and putting out tiny purple blossoms. It won't be long before there are some tiny bean pods if all goes well.


          After a bit of a worrisome start, the Blue Lake bush beans in the foreground seem to be doing well. No more of the plants have been gnawed down by hungry pill bugs.


          The Northeaster pole beans in the back of the bed have surpassed the top to their trellis and are now doubling back or looking for something else to climb. I am trying to keep them from meandering over the fence into Neighbor Tony's yard.


          The black-eye peas are also coming right along. I have noticed that their leaves are a little lighter in color and smaller than the bean plants, but they look healthy and normal. The Red Noodle yard-long beans, which had me confused as I wrote the last progress update, have answered my question. I had assumed they were climbing beans since they were going to be growing yard-long beans, but they were not putting out any climbing tendrils like the Northeaster beans. I had put wire cage supports up for them, but they were just sitting there acting like bush beans.

          I am happy to report that although the Red Noodles had been taking their sweet time, they now have tendrils. They are definitely climbers!





2 comments:

  1. I want to plsnt some beans now. yum yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even gotten to the point of thinking about eating any beans yet, Annie. I am just so thankful that they are growing. When I was a child in New Mexico, beans grew so easily. Not so in California.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.