...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Asparagus to Zia


          This spring I planted my largest raised bed with alternating rows of asparagus crowns and tomato seedlings. There were many reasons I did that. First of all, I had previously tried raising asparagus and had no success at all. I believe the soil in the other bed was too hard. Secondly, I knew that the asparagus was a long term project and wouldn't mature for two years. Maybe I could squeeze in some tomatoes while I waited? If worse came to worse, and the asparagus came to naught, at least I would have tomatoes.
 
          During the summer, as the tomato plants grew to be about four feet tall, I could see the occasional wisp of an asparagus frond here and there. I wasn't sure how many were down beneath the tomato foliage. I had planted everything fairly close together.
 
          At the end of summer, I pulled out the expired tomato plants and was surprised to see that 10 out of the 16 asparagus crowns had sprouted. And once they had the raised bed to themselves, they flourished. Below is a picture, but it is difficult to see the plants because they are so feathery and delicate. The spears are about three feet tall.
  
 
          Here is Zia, or "Zee", lounging in the bed now that it is relatively empty. You can see the asparagus foliage a little more closely in this picture. 

 
          I will plant turnips between the rows of asparagus this autumn. Maybe some bok choy, too. With an small urban garden, every little empty space must be utilized.




1 comment:

  1. I just started a raised bed of asparagus myself. We grew the last bed in our garden -that lasted about 15 yrs. Yours looks good for having to share space with the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.