...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Supposed to be a Secret

 

No, I haven’t dropped off the face of the earth. Just trying to catch up on some chores and do a bit of playful quilting. Best of the Valley Quilt Show is coming up, and I have received several strong nudges to participate in the new challenge that is reserved for us quilters who actually live here in the San Joaquin Valley. The composition is to be 18 X 24”, landscape or portrait orientation, and reflect what is important to us here in our valley home. Many of my friends are participating, and I have to say it will be interesting to see the diverse pieces all together.

With the Cotton Patch Quilters show demanding so much of my attention and time, I didn’t think I could squeeze in enough time for a challenge. I did start one idea, but the required detail on in was going to take me into 2015. Curry just knocked those blocks off of the design table this morning and scattered them on the floor. I guess he didn’t like that idea, either.

I started something else, but had to set it aside when life got too busy.

Finally I have gotten back to my project, and the time spent away has actually been a good thing. Funny how that works out. Now things are flying right along, and I think I will finish in time.

Although I believe our challenge pieces are not to be revealed in their entirety prior to the show, I have already seen some published online. I am posting a few snippets—just so you will know I haven’t stopped quilting all together. Maybe you can have a little fun trying to decide what the whole wall hanging will look like when it is finished.

IMG_4455[1]

IMG_4452[1]

IMG_4445[1]

IMG_4444[1]

7 comments:

  1. good for you for participating. I can't wait to see what everyone has come up with. I already turned mine in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to support Suzanne because I think it is a good idea. Hopefully, I will finish in time.

      Delete
  2. What good is a secret if you can't say anything about it, lol. I can't wait to see what you're doing on this one.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know what it is but like the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea what it will be, but I can tell you I like what I see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. woohoo! Glad to hear that more folks are planning to enter the challenge! There is no secrecy involved, unless you want to keep your "Best of" your own until the reveal. All the quilts will hang with the maker's name and narrative. :) Y'all realize/remember that the quilt, as well as the paperwork, needs to be in Visalia by March 1, right? Great! Can't wait to see what you've come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not going to make the dead line... Small wonders show at Timberline, and Stellar is having a show also... even if I figured something out for this week, the week is almost done.. I couldn't make the date.. darn! I will be looking forward to seeing your piece!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.