...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Quilting in Circles

Some of you may remember that I started out years--yes, years--ago quilting "Vivid Imagination" with concentric circles. I liked the look, but I was ready to tear out my hair. Every time I tried to stitch those jazzy circles, the quilt layers pulled and shifted and distorted all over the place. No amount of practicing was making things any better.

Why hadn't I used spray adhesive between the layers of the quilt sandwich? I don't know. Never again.

I ended up backtracking. I decided to quilt a wavy grid across the quilt top in hopes of adding some stability and preventing all that annoying slipping that was going on between the layers. It was time consuming, but so worth it. The result was much less shifting, not having to rip out so many wobbling lines of stitching.

The green area of this photo shows the wavy grid. The yellow and orange areas already have the concentric circles superimposed on the grid.


So, now I am back to quilting circles, and the process is going much more smoothly.


 There is nothing like working through problems. I think all those bright colors kept me going

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this is gorgeous! Question for you. Did you draw the first circle on and then go from there or did you draw them all on? they look so even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, since you asked, I will write a tutorial on that within the next couple days.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to know the answer to Rose's question too? Are you drawing the circles on? Do you have a stencil? Are you using a walking foot or free motion? Looks good and so glad you found an acceptable solution to your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How bright and fun this quilt is. I love all the colors with the black sprinkled in. The quilting looks really good. Circles are cool. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.