...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Peace, Love & Tehachapi

Independence Day found me celebrating in Tehachapi, California with a big fish fry and potluck lunch. Five of us jumped in the car and traveled to the quaint mountain village to join twenty-five more friends--some old, some new.

After that extended lunch and desserts, my friend Robin and I stopped in old downtown Tehachapi to do a bit of shopping before we headed home. Most stores were open although 5 Heart Quilts was closed by the time we got there. I was planning on gently needling Claudia, the proprietor, to see what quilts she will be entering in the Kern County Fair this year. I guess I will have to wait until September to know that.

Thinking that I was sorely disappointed, Robin gently steered me to an antique and collectible store that was located nearby and nudged me toward these "Peace Frogs".

I hate it when my friends know me better than myself.

Of course, the adorable salt and pepper shakers came home with me. How could I resist their lively colors? Their mouths even had tiny magnets in them so they could kiss!


Outside the shop, there were many sights to see. The entire downtown area was decorated for the holiday. This is the train depot.

 
I am assuming a water tower.
 
 
A side street.
 
 
Gallery 'N Gifts, where the artists were available to talk about their work.
 
 
 And finally, a road sign. Robin found it interesting that the airport and cemetery were listed so closely together. Her father was a pilot and survived a scrape or two.
 
  

3 comments:

  1. Cute little kissing frogs. My mom had a set of kissing Dutch girl and boy with magnets too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those frogs are just too cute! I expect a quilt from you as a result of getting them...just kidding. Though it would make a cute one. Sorry the quilt shop was not open, but still sounds like you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice 4th of July you had. Love those colorful salt and pepper shakers.
    (We had our family get-together the weekend before the 4th so for the long weekend we put the finishing touches on another chicken yard...fun, fun, fun = not, but at least it's done now.)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.