...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Rosy Mug Rug

 

This is this final picture of the project I started in the previous post.

IMG_1716[1]

Click on this link to view the prior steps: http://quiltedtimeposts.blogspot.com/2013/02/outlining-roses-in-free-motion.html

Once I was finished outlining the roses with the free motion quilting, I trimmed the piece into a square—11 1/2” on each side.

IMG_1706[1]

Then I cut a 13 1/2” square of backing fabric and lightly adhered the quilted piece in the middle of it with basting spray, wrong sides together. I tried to center it as much as possible but purposely cut the backing square a little larger so that it could ultimately be trimmed equal and square.

IMG_1708[1]

Using a clear gridded ruler, I trimmed the backing so that it was 3/4” larger than the quilted roses on all sides. Then I folded the 3/4” margin of backing fabric in half toward the top of the mug rug. That done, I pressed and slightly trimmed the corners.

IMG_1711[1]

Finally, I folded the margin of the backing fabric up again toward the top of the mug rug, creating a binding. Some quilters are adept at sewing the binding down by machine, but since this is going to be a gift, I decided to hand stitch it. Afterwards, I did stitch in the ditch just inside the binding to give the piece a little more stability since the backing is not actually quilted to the rose panel.

IMG_1713[1]

Hopefully, my sister will like this.

IMG_1717[1]

6 comments:

  1. That looks very pretty with your cup and saucer. I would never have thought of a mug rug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fancy High Tea mat-mug rug does not fit this elegant piece:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously don't think it will actually be used, Elaine. It is actually a keepsake commemorating a special event.

      Delete
  3. That is the most elegant little quilt (just can't bring myself to call it a mug rug)I've ever seen. It's gorgeous, and I'm sure your sister will love it. Those fabrics are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful! I would hate to cover it up with a mug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful fabric you have chosen. I love mug rugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.