...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Really Buzzing Today

 

It is not unusual to have a block or two left over when a quilt is all stitched and done. But how about 40 and counting? Once I finally decided upon a layout for my Ice Kachang quilt, I still had a small mountain of leftover pieced blocks. Some were already framed with sashing—After all that work, I had decided not to use them.

That meant one thing: Another quilt was in my future.

IMG_1744[1]

I started out yesterday evening with a basic plan. Nothing in stone. I placed the framed blocks around the outside edges, then filled in the middle with all kinds of 4-inch batik squares that I had cut for other projects in the past and decided against using for one reason or another.

My first plan did not involve putting sashing between the blocks. The audition didn’t really inspire me, though.

By then It was late in the evening, and I was too tired to go any further. So I stumbled off to bed, disappointed. I was tempted to pick everything up and put it all away until I actually had a firm idea of where I was going with the mess.

IMG_1732[1]

Things looked a little better this morning-especially when I raided the fabric I had added to my stash during the post-holiday sales—stuff that I hadn’t planned on using quite so soon. I guess I knew what I was doing when I bought it, because I found just what I needed.

I cut sashing strips of a multi-colored watery batik. I used a pink spotted batik for the cornerstones and the outer sashings and borders.

And yes, I do use a dressmaker’s grid to lay my blocks out on for smaller compositions.  I have been known to push two together for larger quilts. They keep everything square, and if I get in a bind and need to put things away,  I can pin the blocks to the cardboard and fold everything up for storage.

IMG_1738[1]

This is how far I have gotten today. Almost all of the vertical rows are sewn together. I am not sure that I will do anymore this evening. Pretty wiped out, but happy.

IMG_1747[1]

By the way, I still have about 25 more blocks left.

4 comments:

  1. What a colorful arrangement you came up with! I love all the batiks. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of blocks you weren't going to use for the other quilt. I hate wasting fabrics too. Great that you could find stuff in your stash already too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning-now I am anxious to see the Kachang quilt. Love the watery batik sashing.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.