...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Ice Kachang Revisited

 

One of my fellow bloggers, Elaine, asked about the progress on my Ice Kachang quilt—the one that seems to be reproducing blocks. I had previously asked readers’ opinions about potential settings and got some valuable advice. Most said that they preferred the more straightforward simple pattern of alternating the warm and cool colored squares. Although I tend to lean toward the complicated, I had to agree with their suggestions. I had also initially planned to put the blocks on point, but the overall pattern created by the fabric strips shows up better if the blocks are simply put in traditional rows.

IMG_1848[1]

These were some of the other settings I auditioned:

http://quiltedtimeposts.blogspot.com/2013/01/still-auditioning-settings.html

Next I had to find fabric for a border or borders. I thought my stash should have something in it, but NOT. About the same time, I happened across so very bold multi-colored batik at an online store called Web Fabrics. I believe this zany beauty is made by Island Batiks. I know. It’s wild. I will try not to use too much. It just reminds me of all the goodies that are sprinkled on Ice Kachang.

http://quiltedtimeposts.blogspot.com/2013/01/ice-kachang.html

IMG_1850[1]

I will probably use the turquoise batik in the foreground for a very thin outer border and/or the binding.

On Saturday I just happened to see this perfect fabric for the backing. It is called Dapples and is by Westminster Fibers. Scattered over the top of it are the quilt blocks that I found hiding in a basket yesterday. I had wondered where all of the pink and oranges ones had gone. I will probably have enough to add another row to each side, which will bring me up to 10 X 10 blocks. Still on the small side since the blocks are only 4 X 4”.

IMG_1852[1]

So instead of this one being finished first, Ice Kachang will have to wait for Rainy Garden Windows. It’s already sandwiched and about half of the ditch stitching is done. If you look closely, you can see all of the safety pins.

IMG_1856[1]

Thanks to everyone for their generous advice.

5 comments:

  1. Every time I see Ice Kachang I get a good color fix. I love those colors! The border & binding fabrics are gorgeous.

    I learned the little bit I know about quilting from a book, and it instructed to iron the seams to one side which I think makes the seams strong but difficult to stitch in the ditch, for me, anyway. Did you for that for Rainy Garden or did you press them open?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally press the seams to one side. It can be tricky sewing in the ditch. After awhile you become instinctively aware that you need to stitch on the side opposite from where the seam has been pressed--the side with one layer of fabric--not three. On Rainy Garden Windows, I pressed the seams to one side. On the Ice Kachang quilt, I will most likely press the seams open since there are also many, many seams that have to be dealt with because of the tiny strips of fabric. That is one reason it is often easier to sew sashing between heavily pieced blocks, then press the seams toward the sashing.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my quilting-rookie question, Kay. I think all the years of pressing seams open in garment construction just naturally led me to question pressing them to the side even if it makes sense for stitch strength.

      Delete
    3. I agree. It was difficult for me to press seams to the side after years of making garments.

      Delete
  2. love the colors, good enough to eat... that is keeping you our of any other mischief.. We had snow last night... will post later on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.