...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Peace, Love, and Haight Ashbury

 

My first composition with my stash of partially finished art blocks reminded me of the bright tie-dyed colors of the 1960s and the neighborhoods that helped make them so popular. I was a little young then to fully understand the politics and social issues that fanned the flames, but the psychedelic colors certainly caught my eye. Nowadays when I sit in quilting circles with demure grandmothers who reminisce about once living free and riding on the back of motorcycles, it makes me shake my head. I wonder if at that young age they ever imagined where life’s road would take them.

 

IMG_1867[1]

4 comments:

  1. No, we didn't. If you would have told me then that I was going to be part of the establishment that i thought was sooo confining-i would have laughed-let alone spend 20 years in education when I couldn't wait to escape hs. Love it love it love it. That is bitchin, groovy, psychedelic and way out, man:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors in those blocks. I've never owned a tie-dyed anything, but bright colors sure lift the spirit.
    The social & political issues - make me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, aaah! Love the clarity of the colors, even if they do remind you of fuzzy thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm...playful, carefree thinking...definitely. Too much of a health nut to do any funny stuff.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.