...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Why Do I Not Like This Block?

 

Generally I try to keep my blog entries positive, but every once in awhile I find myself pondering why I feel one way or another about a certain topic. Then not wanting to be cut off from humanity, I begin to wonder if anyone else feels that way.

Specifically, does anyone else have a particular quilt block that rubs them the wrong way?

I know that Don Beld, the founder of Home of the Brave Quilt Project, is clear that he doesn’t have any plans to become sewing buddies with Sunbonnet Sue. He said just that during a trunk show that I had the pleasure of viewing in 2002.

For me, it is the Churn Dash block, the Monkey Wrench, the Shoo Fly, or whatever you want to call it. You will never see me making this block.

IMG_4088[1]

Talk about snap judgments! It was dislike at first sight. I don’t know why, but the instant distaste was okay with me. After all, there were plenty of other blocks in the sea.

Many years later, Don Beld returned to our guild to share some of his new quilts. Please let me qualify, however, that even though the quilts were technically new, they were meticulous historical replications of designs that commemorated various military events. And don’t you know—that was when Don pulled out a quilt that had row upon row of those Churn Dash blocks.

This isn’t that exact same quilt, but you get the idea. In this arrangement, the design is known as General Sherman’s March.

Layout and measurement graphic used in pattern construction and

Several years later, I found out that my great great grandfather, Levi Pennington, went on General Sherman’s March. He was a soldier who had reluctantly left his wife and many children behind to run their farm in Kentucky so that he could join the Union Army in fighting slavery.

The rest is documented history:


Levi Pennington was a Lieutenant under Sherman, who later received a field promotion to Captain. The promotion was confirmed by act of Congress but Pennington died when hit by a cannonball in the "Battle of Vicksburg" during the Civil War, at Chickasaw Bluffs, Vicksburg Mississippi, before the paper work was processed.
He was Captain of Company C, 7th. KY. Volunteers

Capt Levi Pennington

Birth:
Aug. 30, 1821
Perry County
Kentucky, USA

Death:
Dec. 29, 1862
Vicksburg
Warren County
Mississippi, USA

Capt Levi Pennington

I feel proud and very sad about the fate of Levi Pennington. I don’t know if my dislike of the Sherman’s March configuration is purely incidental, or part of my family’s collective unconscious. I was not even aware of Levi until well after I became a quilter.

There have been devoted Pennington quilters throughout the generations. The closest in age to me was my Grandmother Pennington, but I was much too young to ask her any questions about quilting. She passed away just as I turned two years old.

I wonder what she would have to say about that Churn Dash block.

Do you have any strong feelings about a certain quilt block?

 

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

***The Home of the Brave Quilt Project is a grassroots effort to make and present a quilt to the family of every soldier who has died in the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The project was started in 2004 by Mr. Don Beld, a nationally known quilter and quilt historian of Redlands California.

It has become a nationwide movement with a coordinator for nearly every state and is staffed entirely by caring volunteers. We are dedicated to honoring the memory of our fallen heroes and bringing comfort to their families. So far, 4,672 quilts have have been given to 3,924 families across the nation.

4 comments:

  1. I do not have strong feelings about any particular block. There are some that I think are boring but they have their place in this quilt world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never really thought so much about it...thanks for your insights

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is too funny. I love this quilt block...I first heard it called Hole in the Barn Door. I honestly wonder if I would even have looked at it twice if I had heard it called Churn Dash or Monkey Wrench first.

    The other thing, have you ever disliked a quilt, well, almost hated it as you do this block and then turned 180 degrees and love it...that is how I am with the Pineapple Block/quilts. I used to did not like them at all. Not one little bit and now I love them. And definitely think there is one in my future. And there is another one, but can't think what it is at the moment.

    I never cared a lot for basket blocks either, and now I like them...but those I don't have a desire to make.

    And yes, I do wonder why we are the way we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should probably just keep my thoughts to myself on this subject, being such a novice at quilting, but I knows what I likes, and I don't likes that block at all. O.O There are lots of others I don't like, too, that just don't hardly put one in mind of what they are named for, to me anyway. That's when I think gorgeous fabric comes to the rescue and helps to give a quilt some interest...but then again, what do I know.

    I really enjoyed reading about your civil war ancestor! The photograph of him is really priceless. He looked so young! I just read a series of historical novels about the civil war in which lots of officers were named...wish I'd known to watch for Levi Pennington's name as the battle of Vicksburg was in one of the books.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.