...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Friday, October 11, 2013

Coats Bobbin Thread for Hand Applique?

 

I have misplaced my white silk applique thread. Heaven knows where it is hiding! I know the tote bag that is holding it, but I have yet to locate the tote.

IMG_4012[1]

Silk thread is great to use for hand applique. It rarely tangles and has an uncanny way of blending into fabrics. The only problem, however, is that only one store here in town sells silk thread, and it is clear across town.

IMG_4006[1]

Tuesday evening I stopped by Beverly’s on the way home from work to pick up a disappearing ink marker. While I was there, this spool of thread caught my eye: Coats bobbin thread for machine embroidery. It is very white, super fine, shiny, and 100% polyester. I decided to give it a try for hand applique. Love it, love it, LOVE IT! It is very easy to thread the needle with this product because it has a lot of tensile strength and does not keep unraveling like most threads do. It doesn’t even threaten to tangle or knot, which saves oodles of time. The thin gauge allows it to disappear into the fabric.

IMG_4010[1]

Woo-hoo! I think I have found a new friend!

IMG_4011[1]

7 comments:

  1. Now, that's good to know. Your project looks intriguing. I wish I could do something beside mow and clean. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That's good to know. I'll have to pick one up. I wonder if they sell it at JoAnn's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I checked online, and they have it listed. $3.49

      Delete
  3. When I runout of my masterpiece 50/2ply I'll have to give it a try-I get tangles!. Looks like a very interesting piece you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks that sounds like a great back up thread.. Love sharing ideas!

      Delete
  4. I hope I can remember this little tidbit of info....I really need to start something hand applique to do while we watch TV.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.