...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Laundry Day in California

 

With all the storms brewing in other parts of the United States, I almost feel guilty grabbing a few sunny days here in California and laundering some quilts. Neither one of these quilts has ever been washed. Of course, they have just hung on walls from time to time, so haven’t had much of a chance to become soiled. I washed them separately in the bathtub with a little Synthrapol mixed into the water. I was worried about the reds bleeding even though the fabric had been prewashed, but all was good.

After a thorough rinsing, I lifted the quilts out of the bathtub with a flannel sheet, them spread them out on the lawn with clean flannel sheets beneath them. They dried quickly in the warm sun.

IMG_3983[1]

“Trees Make Good Neighbors” 2006

IMG_3982[1]

“Durga’s Journey” 2006

IMG_4002[1]

Detail shot.

IMG_4004[1]

I have one more quilt that needs to be laundered. Maybe next weekend…

3 comments:

  1. We have been getting the Santa Ana winds here the last few days-can't hang anything out or it would be full of dirt. Your quilts are lovely and I bet they enjoyed the bath:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't have any color bleeding.
    We were gone for a long three day weekend. If not for my fabric and yarn stashes I might have just never come home. lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh! I love them...the second one I would really, really like to see in person...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.